The Free Store is a community owned community driven program spearheaded by locals residents who have a have identified a need in the community & have set about finding ways to address it. The Free Store Program is supported by Morwell Neighbourhood House. If you have any questions about the Free Store, or want to donate goods please call the House on 5134 5488. Thank-you.
The types of items accepted as donations to the Free Store include; clothing, toys, books, electrical items (working), shoes, linen, kitchenware and non-perishable food items.
Freestore Event dates can be found on our facebook site.
Please note MNHLC cannot store donated goods. It is strictly drop off on the day unless other arrangements have been made with the Free Store Team.
Doors will open at 10am.
There will be photos taken at freestore events. Let staff or volunteers know if you do not want your photo taken.
We would ask that all children please be accompanied by an adult.
Morwell Free Store graciously acknowledges the support and partnership of Morwell Neighbourhood House
How to get here via public transport.
Catch the Bus route 21 to the Beattie Cres/Vary St stop*
– From Mid Valley hourly
– From Commercial Road
A store which rejects payment is open.Come down and pick up a bargain like no other – totally free.
What are we doing?
We are giving away free stuff. If you see something you like take it and smile. It’s your lucky day!
Why are we doing this?
There is a lot of waste generated by society each year. By giving away free things we are slowing down the tide of things going to landfill, slowing down the destruction of the environment and trying to make people happy. It also helps those who can least afford it.
Where does all this stuff come from?
Some was sitting in storage and we decided we didn’t want it anymore, some is donated by members of the community, some we decided that someone else needed it more than ourselves right now. Some have been donated by op shops from stuff they would otherwise need to pay to dump.
Is this stuff still good?
As far as we can tell yes, but we really can’t be sure, it may need a wash, wipe down or other. We can’t guarantee anything. All our donations are second chance items. they are pre owned and pre loved.
Can you add stuff to the free store?
YES! Just make sure it’s in a condition that a reasonable person might want it. You can even come along and help we welcome any community involvement from volunteers.
Do you take furniture ?
We can’t take furniture and suggest you donate it to St Luke’s Op Shop on Princes Drive or Vinnies Morwell.
can I donate electrical Items?
For community safety reasons electrical items need to be tagged and tested so bring them early and leave them with us. They will be made available at another free store event.
If it doesn’t fit or you change your mind, you can bring it back for a 100% refund ($0) or
Swap it at the next free store for something else.
Guidelines to HAPPY shopping at the FREE STORE
- Shopping will start at 1pm, we will not open the door early. This is to ensure that everyone gets a fair opportunity to shop.
- We love children, but we cannot take responsibility for them. Children under 15 will need an adult with them to shop at our free store.
- You must be wearing shoes to enter our store.
- Please bring your own bags, unfortunately we do not have enough bags for everyone.
- If you see something you like take it and smile. It’s your lucky day!
- Need some help? Look for the people wearing safety vests or orange Tshirts they are the wonderful team of dedicated volunteers who make the free store happen each month. They will be able to help you.
- Are you donating? You can donate any unwanted items such as clothing, toys, books, electrical items (still working), shoes, linen, kitchenware (plates, glasses, cups, cutlery, pots and pans) and NON PERISHABLE food items. The turn over of goodies relies on your generosity & we THANK YOU for your donations.
- Donations be sorted & distributed at the Future free store events
- The free store is run on people power,
- Our work is inspired by the Pay it Forward Model. To ensure we can service all those who need it please take what you need & where you can, do something nice for someone else or donate your unwanted items back to the free store. Kindness is contagious
- DISCLAIMER: We cannot take responsibility for items that do not work or are damaged. If you decide it doesn’t fit or you change your mind, you can bring it back. You are welcome to see if you can find something else you like.
- DISCLAIMER: There may be video, audio or photos taken at the free store events for social media if you don’t wish to appear online or in media publications please let us know.